Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Christmas Spirit

It's really hard to get in the Christmas spirit this year, what with the tropical weather and flip flops and whatnot. It's not for lack of trying, either. Behold!
I know! It's groovy, right? When we first learned we were going to South America and a live tree would be out of the question, I immediately went out and bought a white artificial tree. My reasoning was, if I'm going to go fake, I'm going to go all out, much like the cast of Jersey Shore.  And I luuuurve it. It was a little sparse (what do you expect for a tree that was $15 on 75% off clearance?), so I filled it in with white feather boas. Did I mention I love it? My traditionalist husband, however, does not. That's why you see the dumb green tree in the background. It was supposed to go into storage, but the evil moving company sent it here instead of our bed, so Mitch and I each get our own tree the kids get to enjoy two trees. Mitch's tree has all our family ornaments on it. It's actually just the top part of our ginormous 9 foot tall tree we used to put up in the entryway of our house. When we had a house. This sucker weighs a lot (about as much as the mattress of a king size bed!) and won't be coming home with us.


Hanging ornaments is exhausting work. Let's end the series of tree shots with one more of Whitey:

Ahhhhh. That's better. What's funny about this tree is that when kids come over they always love it, and adults are all, "Oh. You have a white tree. That's......different."   And Mitch smirks because he doesn't love it. Oh, he'll love it soon, though. If he knows what's good for him.

We also got two boxes of garlands that were supposed to go into storage, as well.

See? Fake pine garlands just don't go with palm trees and sunshine.  We've been watching all the holiday DVDs we brought, and I got out our stockings, but this is the first time since we got married that we don't have a fireplace. What to do, what to do?  Aha! I spied an item we have no use for....

A coat rack. Mirror rack? Coat mirror?


Embassy pancake breakfast with "Santa", can you help me find my Christmas spirit?
Nope, especially since my teenager was home in bed and I had to bribe my 11 year-old with $5 to take this photo with his sisters.

Eggnog latte, can you help me find my Christmas spirit?

Nope. Since it's not even real eggnog, it's a mix I got from Amazon to try and simulate the real (and by real, I mean a carton picked up in the dairy aisle at my local Safeway) thing.


Christmas mix in my ipod, can you help?
Nope.

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, can you help? And why are you lined up for class pictures?

Nope. How about the school holiday program?

Okay, I admit that I did have a little Christmas spirit after seeing all those kids singing their hearts out in English and portuguese.  And seeing all the fifth grade boys stifling their giggles at the phrase, "Don we now our gay apparel!" was pretty amusing. But you can also be sure I was concerned about all those Santa hats and the spread of lice  *shudder*. 

I'm sure I'll find my Christmas spirit soon. The kids are out of school on Thursday FOR FIVE WEEKS (sorry, I had to type that in all caps to convey my feelings about such a long break), so we'll have lots of time for holiday baking and being together. Every day. FOR FIVE WEEKS.  Anyhoodle, think of me, all you people in the frozen north, as you are scraping the ice off your windshields. I'll be down here in Brazil, sitting on my patio with my fake pine garlands, drinking my iced 'eggnog' latte, trying to get my Christmas spirit on as I rub sunblock on my shoulders and wait for the gardener to arrive. What? the shrubs are beginning to block my view of the lake.

9 comments:

Lisa said...

Perhaps you should spike the eggnog latte. That would have to help a little.

For the record, I like the white Christmas tree. It's whimsical. And God knows everyone needs a little whimsy.

Merry Christmas, Kate!

Anonymous said...

It seems to me you are whining just a little bit too much, while the rest of your family is freezing in good ole Spokalooo. Love you guys & miss you lotssss. Merry Christmas, Grandma D

Anonymous said...

Beautiful... loved that you've got 2 trees! Sharing the tropical Xmas Spirit! Take care, Raquel

Linsey said...

I love your tree!

Anonymous said...

And I love all YOUZE GUYS!!..Gramps

Jennifer said...

Your white tree adds a certain je ne sais quoi to your home and I think it is fabulous!
Happy Holidays!

Bfiles said...

I too think Whitey is fantastic!
hope you have a wonderful holiday.

Kate said...

Thank you all. It's obvious that you have excellent taste.

Heather Dray said...

Ok, I'm way way WAY behind on reading my homies' blogs, but I'm catching up!

I, too, luuurve your white tree. It's festive. It's awesome. It's downright beautiful. Of course, I have tacky tasty (I used to have a fiberoptic tree but it, ::sigh::, died a painful death), so my compliments mean nothing.

Happy New Year and belated Merry Christmas!!