Monday, January 10, 2011

What's YOUR number?

I'm blogging from bed, which I've declared as my permanent home state.  Nope, I'm not sick.  We got a new bed, and it's like sleeping on angel wings wrapped in clouds and rolled in fairy dust.  It has a remote control which makes it soft and squishy to sleep on, but I can make it firm if I want to sit up and watch 90210 reruns CNN.  We paid the extra $100 to have some guys come and set it up for us, which we would easily have spent on dinner, flowers, and new shoes making up after the Big Fight we avoided by trying to put it together ourselves.  The best part is that it breaks down and fits into boxes, so we can bring it with us wherever we go, and I won't have to sleep on a bed that has someone else's skin flakes being munched on by dust mites. You're welcome.

It's still anyone's guess as to where or even when we might actually be sent somewhere, but Africa is a strong possibility since Mitch is currently with the Africa Bureau.  I'm researching like crazy, and one thing I'm discovering is that many kids whose families are posted to Africa go to boarding school for high school.  Since we have one more State directed post, it is a possibility that we have to consider. Tonight we posed the question to Jack if he'd rather be homeschooled or sent to boarding sch....aaaand that's exactly how much I got out of my mouth before he was whooping around the house.  Now, I have no doubts that the other three children would prefer to stay at home, but Jack's first complete sentence at the age of one was, "I need a lock on this door!" in reference to his bedroom.  I regret saying anything, because now if we do get sent to Africa, and there's a decent American or international school, he's going to feel robbed.  And I will laugh and smother him with kisses and comment on his Facebook and meet him for lunch at his new school wearing a really fancy outfit.  Really, though, I have no idea why he would ever want to get away from all this. 

Well, I gotta go do some more lying down before it's bedtime. Nightnight!

9 comments:

Coco Recommends said...

Great entry. Congrats on the new bed. :)

Becky said...

You always make me laugh. Enjoy the new bed!

Lisa said...

We have a sleep number, too, but it's in storage :(. Your post has pushed me to just go for it and pay the $$ to get into storage to get it. The bed in our rental is *horrible* and I wake up in pain at least 2x a night! I hope you love it!

Kimberlee and Corinna said...

I have been complaining about the bed that Oakwood has provided us, since we got here in Aug. It's so tempting to go buy a new one. Sleep Number huh? Maybe I should look in to it.

Kate said...

Becky and Sassandsweet-thank you!

Lisa- Go get that bed.

Corinna- The Oakwood beds are the worst. That's actually why we bought the Sleep Number, because knowing that we'd be at the mercy of whatever bed we are assigned to was too scary-my guess is that they are probably all pretty Oakwood-esque.

Unknown said...

Get lotsa sleep, Katie. Homeschooling my Grandson Jack will be a full time job.

Becky said...

It is time for the Weekly State Department Blog Round Up and you are on it!

It is found here:
http://smallbitsfs.blogspot.com/2011/01/part-1-new-stuff-and-100-or-so-blog.html

If you would like the links to your site removed (or corrections are needed) please contact me. Thanks!

Amy said...

We ended up sending our oldest to boarding school this year as our schools at post are so poor (Ottawa, Canada!) and so far so wonderful. I strongly recommend it.

Jennifer said...

If you end up in Africa will you bring the bed with you? And if not, can you drop it by our house in France on the way?
Thanks!