Thursday, January 12, 2012

World's Longest 'Summer'

Only 11 days until the kids go back to school. I'm not counting down or anything, I just looked it up on the calendar because we've been having so much fun, the days have positively! flown! by!
~Our heroine says, through gritted teeth.

We  had planned on taking some weekend trips to see some waterfalls and little towns and do some hiking, but it's been raining non-stop for most of the break.  Most of the kids' friends are smartly travelling elsewhere, and Mitch has been in Rio and Sao Paulo working all week, so it's just been the five us and the clocks. Tick. Tick. Ti----ck.

It hasn't actually been terrible. The kids are quite content to be out of school, play with what few friends have remained in Brasilia, and are even getting along pretty well. Look, here they are playing a board game:

Monopoly. Ugh, I know. They don't even invite me to play anymore because after about 20 minutes my eye starts twitching and I usually get up 'to get a drink of water', accidentally falling and knocking the board to the floor. It's all very dramatic, I assure you. Anyway, this particular game lasted two days between archrivals Olivia and Jack, with Jack the victor, but Olivia was a very worthy opponent. Grace lost all her money and property about 45 minutes in and quit with a flourish. She flicked her hair and said, "At least I still have my looks!" Then she flounced off to play with something that wasn't so boring.

Henry's been happy with friends he really likes remaining in Brasilia, so he's basically had one long, roving sleepover for most of the break. Tonight, I asked Henry to take out the garbage (which strangely gets picked up every day here), and his friend jumped at the chance to do it. "I never get to take out the garbage at home, our maid always does it!" Henry just smirked and I could see him working out how he could get his friend to do his other chores as well. The kid was just lucky we don't have a fence to whitewash.

Jack has been practicing his guitar so much that his fingers have cracked, sending tiny fissures of blood across the front of his guitar, but I'm not allowed to wipe it off, because apparently "it looks badass, mom." I should say so. He also recently informed Mitch and I that "If I'd had to grow up in the 80s I would have killed myself!", after we spent an afternoon watching some VH1 80s special. So, that was a nice time bonding with our teenager.

The girls have begun piano lessons and have finally learned to ride their bikes. They resisted for so long that they actually outgrew the bikes before they really had a chance to ride them. They'll be fine until we can get new ones, and being close to the ground is probably good for Grace, who rides like a drunken sailor, much like how she swims. But always with flair, and always checking to make sure I have my camera so I don't miss any of her moves. Olivia learned in two tries and was doing tricks and stunts the second day.

 "I wish our hill was steeper!"


Drunken sailor on the left.



At least she has her looks.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Finally!!!

Anonymous said...

I am so jealous of summer...

btw, Reed just taught a 5th grade friend of hers to ride a bike, so your girls are really miles ahead of one person here in C-ville who lives just down the street from Ambien Way.

Enjoying your posts and adventures from afar...someday, we may have our own.

Thanks again to your Mitch for a beautiful high school. It's been the best thing in the world for our high schooler who had turned into a happy teenager after transferring schools.

Happy 2012 to all the Romeros from all the Richards.