Friday, November 4, 2011

Glasses

Last month I took the girls in to the med office for their several-months-past-due eight year-old check-ups (hey, I was switching countries, which qualifies as a pass in my book, and whoa, was that ever a hyphen-heavy sentence). First up was eye exams, and Grace whipped through hers quickly. Olivia was next. I was standing behind her, and I watched as she covered one eye and read the first, second, and part of the third lines. Then she stopped and was very quiet and still for a long moment. I saw her wipe a fat tear off her cheek.  That was all she could read. It tore my heart out, but the crappy vision came as no surprise in this family. We talked up how cool glasses were and went to a website where she could upload a photo of herself and virtually try on lots of different styles. I picked out one pair for her and she picked out two. They arrived yesterday, and she put them on and walked around the house, checking out the crystal clear view through her new eyes . She stepped out onto the patio.

"MOM!!! HAVE YOU SEEN OUR VIEW?! IT'S AMAZING!"  I may or may not have gotten a little choked up at that point. I looked right at my lovely, bespectacled daughter. "Yes I have, Olivia. The view is beautiful."






These are the ones she picked out to wear to school today. Two points to whoever can
 tell me what that photo is of over her shoulder.

15 comments:

Laurie said...

Fremont Troll under the George Washington Bridge aka Aurora Bridge. Seattle WA 98103(?)
Do the points count towards mileage to the Romero's in Brazil?

Laurie said...

Oh... and she looks so cool. :)
I totally wished there were cool glasses like these when I was young.

Julie said...

TROLL!!! under the bridge!!

Kate said...

Too easy. I shouldn't have let Seattlites play. And, um, yes! The prize is free lodging in Brazil. You win! Me too, about the glasses. I had HUGE, ugly, pta mom glasses.

Kate said...

Fun fact: Mitch helped build that troll and there's a time capsule buried in the trunk of that VW.

Doug said...

Someone we both know (not me) has peed on that troll.

Heather Dray said...

I may or may not have gotten choked up reading this blog. I love her glasses; she really rocks every one of them! I've worn glasses since I was 12 and I can't envision myself without them - I always say they are a part of my personality. I hope she'll love hers as much as I have loved mine. The yellow ones are totally my fav!

Kate said...

Doug, was it Jim Fox? Because I could see that.

Bfiles said...

aw, I remember that 'aha' day too at about her age. Big hug to Olivia.

Becky said...

That's cool that Mitch helped make the troll. One of my fav Seattle things.

Olivia looks fantastic in her new specs! I'm so glad you were able to get it checked out and taken care of.

Daniela Swider said...

I too may or may not have shed a tear or two when I read your blog post. She does look adorable in her new glasses. Where did you buy them? I am asking because I recently got new glasses for my astigmatism and promptly lost them two days later. So, now I am back to blurry...

Kate said...

Daniela, it's http://www.zennioptical.com/
They are pretty good with regular glasses. Super cheap. I don't buy mine there because I've got so many vision requirements (progressive lenses, nearsighted, blahblahblah).

Lisa said...

She looks awesome in every pair.

Anonymous said...

Truly a blind family..Sorry about my part in it. The glasses are beautiful, honey...Gramps

Sadie said...

Apparently reading blogs several weeks too late means I am late to the trivia party... And I knew it was the Seattle troll, too! Very nice glasses! And since I need a couple new pairs myself, I might as well check out the link - thanks!